Researcher Associate – State Affairs
The Citizens Research Council of Michigan, Michigan’s oldest and most trusted nonpartisan public affairs research organization is seeking an outstanding researcher to serve as research associate specializing in state affairs. This position will serve as the Research Council’s expert on the state budget and other state policy matters.
The mission of the Citizens Research Council is to promote the development of informed public policy at all levels of Michigan government through the delivery of factual and unbiased analyses of the issues most critical to state and local government. Examples of our research can be found at www.crcmich.org.
The research associate will be expected to:’
- Produce high quality objective research reports on various state policy topics
- Analyze the state budget as introduced, debated, and enacted and produce nonpartisan state budget notes discussing key policy issues
- Create and deliver nonpartisan budget briefings and presentations on policy topics to a diverse set of audiences
- Respond to inquiries from the news media, government officials, industry and policy associations, and the general public in an informed and nonpartisan manner
- An interest in state of Michigan public policy, especially the state budget
- Strong skills in research, spreadsheet analysis, writing research reports
- Outstanding presentation skills
- At least a master’s degree in a policy related concentration
As a small team, staff members share responsibility for tasks such as desktop publishing, website maintenance, and preparation of graphics. The ability to contribute to the functioning of the organization beyond policy research will be considered in the hiring process.
Compensation based on qualifications. Compensation also includes participation in the 403(b) defined contribution plan, health insurance (including vision and dental), participation in health reimbursement account, travel cost reimbursement, and flexible hours.
The person employed in this position will work out of our Lansing office (115 West Allegan, Suite 480).
The Citizens Research Council of Michigan is a private, not-for-profit, public affairs research group that has been researching issues pertaining to Michigan state and local government organization and finance since 1916. The Research Council is a 501(c)(3) organization governed by a 35-member board of directors and a 75-member board of trustees. Independence and nonpartisanship are among the distinguishing attributes of the Citizens Research Council. All Research Council employees are expected to ensure that their actions do not jeopardize the Citizens Research Council’s nonpartisan reputation. Additional information on Citizens Research Council can be found at www.crcmich.org.
Interested candidates should apply by sending (no phone inquiries please) a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and references to:
Citizens Research Council of Michigan
38777 Six Mile Road, Suite 208
Livonia, MI 48152-3974
The writing samples should be related to a public policy topic and should be solely authored by the applicant.