Communications Specialist – Detroit
The Citizens Research Council of Michigan, Michigan’s oldest and most trusted nonpartisan public affairs research organization, is seeking a Communications Liaison for our new Detroit Bureau and to help with the overall organization’s marketing and media relations efforts.
The mission of the Citizens Research Council is to promote the development of informed public policy at all levels of Michigan government through the delivery of factual and unbiased analyses of the issues most critical to state and local government. Examples of our research can be found at www.crcmich.org.
In 2021, the Research Council reestablished the Detroit Bureau to provide public policy research focused on Detroit and to the dissemination of accessible research and analysis to Detroit-based stakeholders who can affect policy change.
In close collaboration with residents and organizational partners based in Detroit, the Communications Liaison will develop a process and framework by which the Detroit Bureau will determine and publicize its research agenda. The Communications Liaison will also engage in direct outreach to neighborhood associations, community development organizations, and other community groups to obtain feedback from and disseminate the Detroit Bureau’s research directly to Detroit residents.
Detroit Bureau Responsibilities
The communications specialist will be expected to:
- Develop a process for soliciting ideas for potential Detroit-focused research projects
- Establish communications channels with stakeholders within Detroit
- Monitor news and social media networks to develop awareness of current issues
- Work closely with Research Council leadership and Detroit Bureau research staff to
- Understand current research agenda
- Capacity to engage in new projects
- Develop dissemination methods to inform Detroit policy makers, stakeholders, and citizens about the findings of research projects and opportunities to develop policy
Citizens Research Council Responsibilities
- Develop media partnerships throughout the state, including
- Michigan Public Radio stations
- Other print and electronic media outlets
- Work with Research Council leadership to draft news releases to announce and promote
- Publications, presentations, webinars, and podcasts
- Organizational news
- Annual Dinner
- Maintain website (www.crcmich.org)
- Proficiency in WordPress to maintain the look, functionality, and content
- Managing presence on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Wikipedia)
- Enhance data visualization
- Assist with marketing materials and general fundraising efforts
- Proactively promote availability of research staff for speaking opportunities
- Create policy events
- Produce Webinars using GoToWebinar or another platform
- Manage and produce Podcasts
- Manage subject calendar
- Interview staff members
- Assist in production to pull out meaningful clips
Considerations and Qualifications
- An interest in public policy in Michigan
- Strong writing skills, media relations, and ability to navigate news cycles
- Event planning experience
- Software skills (or willingness to learn) InDesign, PhotoShop, WordPress, Constant Contact, GoToWebinar, and a social media management platform (such as tweet deck or content cal).
The ability to contribute to the functioning of the organization will be considered in the hiring process.
Compensation based on qualifications.
Interested candidates should apply by sending (no phone inquiries please) a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Eric Lupher, President
Citizens Research Council of Michigan
38777 Six Mile Road, Suite 208
Livonia, MI 48152-3974